Tuesday, July 22, 2008

If I get Lyme Disease.....

It will be because of this apple tree. Granted it's a nice tree and produces delicious slightly wormy organic McIntosh apples, but it is a real pain to mow the grass under it and my head always brushes against the lower branches. It's going to be difficult to spot that bulls-eye rash when it finally appears under my hair. There are always deer under this tree and that's where the ticks come from. I remain hopeful that my eventual demise as a result of Lyme disease is just a hypochondriatic delusion. Wish me luck!

At least this one is actually eating his apple. Most of them take one bite and drop the rest on the ground. And I don't have a very nice attitude toward these deer now do I? I'm just grouchy because I had to mow the grass today.

5 comments:

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I'm kind of afraid of Lyme disease... I grew up in an urban environment and never thought about it - but now I live in Reston and see deer all the time!

Barbara said...

It's smart to be scared of Lyme disease. It can have disastrous effects if not diagnosed early. I have a musician friend who suffers every day of her life because she had it for months before being diagnosed. The good news is diagnosis is simple through a blood test. You know exactly what to look for I'm sure. So just stay alert and get tested if you are suspicious.

Meanwhile send the deer to eat someone else's apples!

Mo said...

Oh god, I'm terrified of Lyme disease! Hypochondriacs unite! I remember Googling "preventing Lyme disease" before my last camping trip, and most sites simply told me to "avoid tick bites." Um...thanks. That's really helpful.

Cyndy said...

I guess I'm sort of afraid of it, but mostly I'm annoyed because I think that mowing under this deer magnet/apple tree is upping my chances of getting it. I know some people who have had it and it's pretty horrible. Hopefully my luck will hold out.

Robyn said...

I can understand your fear of Lyme Disease because it's a very real problem. I've suffered from Chronic Lyme for the last 17 years and I can tell you it's no picnic. As for having to go under the tree if you're really concerned about the tick a simple way to make sure you don't have any on you is when you go in the house fill the bath tub with just enough water to cover the bottom. Then shake your hair out over it along with all your clothes.. If you see anything that looks like tiny poppy seeds those are tics. If you can grab one with a pair of tweezers out of the water and put it in a plastic baggy take it to your local health department and they should be able to send it out for testing to see if it carries Lyme.. Good luck and enjoy the deer! :)