I don't want to build my house today. I want to put silly things on my blog instead. Okay, that's done. Off to work now!
Friday, October 24, 2008
It's nearly cold enough to be. And this groundhog most certainly did not see his shadow. We were working outside all day today and it felt like February to me - all dark and dreary. I'm especially not looking forward to winter this year if it's starting out like this.
I can't wait to be finally free to get out there and do it again. I'm really looking forward to it. As soon as we finish building our house and get settled back in, I'll be looking for another road or ship gig, that's for sure. Until then, I fall asleep each night and dream about running away with the circus.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Monday, October 20, 2008
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Friday, October 17, 2008
you all are it!!!
Here are the official rules:
1. Link to your tagger and list these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blog.
4. Let them know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
And here are the seven random/weird facts:
1. I'm slightly ambidextrous - I deal cards and money with my left hand and when my right hand gets tired of hammering nails, I rest it by switching to my left hand.
2. I really like going to the movies alone.
3. I had a paper route for a couple of years in elementary school.
4. When I was a kid I wanted to become a vagabond who rode the rails across the country and did odd jobs in strange towns for a living.
5. There was a period of about 5 years when, except for my shoes and underwear, I literally made everything I wore, including bathing suits and a winter coat.
6. When I was in college I used to drive my VW bug down sidewalks and across fields at 3:00 in the morning because it both alarmed and amused my friends (and me).
7. I like being way up in the air - in an airplane, skyscraper, or hot air balloon; on a mountain, ski lift, rollercoaster, or ferris wheel - you name it. I used to sit up in a tree and read books when I was younger.
So now it's time to go tag everyone.....
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
So I did my research the fast and easy way, using Google, and found out who the correct composers were for this tune, which happens to be the title song from a 1948 movie. It has become a jazz standard as a result of John Coltrane's rendition:
In addition, I discovered that there is in fact another song by the same name and the composers are the ones that are incorrectly listed in the Real Book. This song is from 1963 and was a hit for Bobby Vee. The video is hilarious:
Now a very good friend of mine is going through the same thing. Her 18 year old cat Tom died on Sunday night. I feel sad all over again. I really liked Tom a lot. Doug and I stopped in to visit him one last time on our way home Saturday night. He was very thin and very weak, but still just as friendly as he could possibly be. I'm glad we got to see him although it makes me miss Ted all over again. And now Tom as well.
Friday, October 10, 2008
Gretchen Parloto and bassist/vocalist Esperanza Spaulding. They were both amazing, but Esperanza completely blew me away. She is phenomenal and inspiring.
Tomorrow morning I'm subbing on a Sweeney Todd rehearsal, putting up some more siding, playing another little gig, then I'm going to try to make David Sanborn's late set at Blues Alley if they put me on the list. (I know someone in the band - ha ha ha, actually I know at least 3 people in the band!)
Sunday I've got my brunch and then I'm heading down to Twins to hear pianist Leslie Pintchik. She's great and so is her bass-playing husband. Then I'll probably stay up really late getting ready for my class on Monday.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
I don't know why this is, but Doug has a thing for bed and breakfasts. I'm more of a hotel person, but it's pretty cool staying in a really old house like the Merry Sherwood. Supposedly it's even haunted. I was very happy to learn that they were serving breakfast at 8:30 which is a relatively reasonable time. I hate having to drag myself out of bed at an unnaturally early hour to eat an incredibly delicious meal before I'm even awake enough to appreciate it.
It was raining cats and dogs the day we left and the Merry Sherwood was looking pretty gloomy. Our room was also kind of gloomy, but cozy at the same time. We slept under this extremely ornate chunk of wood:
So we had our delicious fancy breakfast and headed off to Assateague even though the weather didn't look too promising. As it turned out, we got in about three hours of beach time. The sun actually came out. Because there had been a really bad storm there a few weeks ago, all of the soft white sand had been pushed back into the dunes. The black sand that was left was very hard and flat and therefore very easy to walk on. Apparently the sand shifts from the storms every winter and the white sand comes back in the spring. After we had our afternoon at the beach I couldn't resist taking more pictures.
The ponies were nice and clean from the previous day's rain showers.
On the way home we stopped in Berlin at a wine store that is associated with the Atlantic Hotel. Doug bought some marinated anchovies, olives, and a couple of interesting cheeses. We couldn't find any decent bread in Berlin to complete our picnic spread, and it was raining really hard again so we stopped at the Panera in Salisbury, took our food in, bought a loaf of sourdough, and had our picnic inside the Panera. The anchovies were delicious and tasted really fresh - not anything like those awful dried things people sometimes put on pizza.
We got back Saturday in plenty of time for our gigs. On Sunday I played my brunch, did an orchestra rehearsal, and went to the Wayne Shorter concert at UMD. By then I was really far behind in my preparation for school the next day. So I guess that was the last hurrah of summer. I'm ready to accept that it is fall now. But I still might do one last day trip to the beach - I just can't help it!!!